Thursday, December 8, 2016

Final Campaign Project

Our 3 audience members we tried to keep in mind were:

  1. Male or Female. 30-45 years of age. A culturally involved person. Has been a fan of films for years and finds them culturally necessary. 
  2. Male or Female. 18-30 years of age. This group of people were raised on films. It is apart of their bred culture. Almost to the point they don't think they need preserved because it has been apart of them their whole upbringing. Which makes it important to let them know we need to preserve these culture altering films.
  3. Male or Female. 12-18 years of age. Millennials. We want to teach them about how movies came to be what they are. That old films being preserved are just as important as the new ones to be inducted. We need to show them the value these films bring and how they have shaped our society and life as we know it. 
Once we figured out who our audience was we felt the need to further develop a campaign to bring those certain audiences in. We needed something to keep the oldies and rein in the newbies. This is when we decided to use the slogan's "Frankly my dear we DO give a damn," and "Play it again." The two slogans will draw in audience members 1 and 2 because of the nod to Gone With the Wind and Casablanca. I think another great aspect to these slogans are if you had never heard those two famous lines (audience 3 most likely) they still draw you in and make you want to know more about the National FIlm Registry.



Next step was a style guide. I am a very picky, set in my ways, person, so it took a lot to breathe and say it's ok to go with someone else's ideas. It took a lot to do so. 

We wanted to keep things classic. We are representing preservation so we're hoping that this branch of the National Library of Congress remains open for at least forever. We immediately decided on black and white. It is simple, classic, and ties in with old black and white/grayscale films. We also felt that those two colors weren't enough we needed an accent color so we opened up a page in photoshop and played around with colors. Again we wanted a timeless color accent. I have sadly fallen in love with a vintage lemon color so I suggested that, with it looking vintage but then we were worried it would time stamp the branding as a whole and would eventually need to be replaced. Then we played with an indigo color and it just seemed to clinical. It was then when we decided red. Red had so many roles in films. The ruby slippers, roses in performances, crimson lips, the list goes on. Red was our color. Red never goes out of style. We then had to define what color of red would best work with what we were going with. If it was too deep it didn't stand out against the black. If it was too bright or light it didn't accent, it stole the show in a clownish way. which is why we chose the blue-hued deeper red. It has a timeless feel, doesn't it? Don't answer that, that was rhetorical...


Let's talk fonts. Oh dear, I am a huge fan of sans serif fonts. I am into the whole deco/modern vibe. clean lines equal legibility. Apparently I was the only one of the group who felt this way. Lauren wanted a script involved. I couldn't let that happen. In my eyes script was/is a thing of the past if we wanted to suck in the younger audience we needed to keep things current with subtle nods to the past. Heck, kids these days don't even learn cursive. I was open to incorporating serif, but not over the top serif. The serif needed to have purpose, it couldn't just be there cause it's "pretty." We opened up a word document and played around with the fonts. I was looking into prominent sans serif fonts such as: Helvetica, Avenir, and Century Goth. They all had a modern feel that the kiddies could clearly read. I did love the font, Modern No. 20. It was reminiscent of magazines published in the 60s. It just had that vintage feel. It made me feel like I was entering into a vault filled with film canisters waiting for me to open them up and have a look, but sadly Wix didn't have that option. It did however have Playfair Display, which was similar. I had thought Courier would be a great option considering its the font used for screenplays but decided against it and used Enriqueta because it seemed like a more sophisticated version. The Avenir was decided because of it's modern feel. I felt the body needed to be legible and have the more modern feel we were wanting to capture our main campaign audience.

The style guide had been decided so we passed the talisman to Spencer where he designed the logo and the style guide for our campaign. He had experience in illustrator that he wanted to rekindle so we let him have it.

I was in charge of the website. I wanted to keep things mainly visual because we are dealing with the preservation of a visual art. I went through Wix templates to find a suitable one and could not find a theme that fit our story best so I chose a church one because the layout of the image on the pages was in our faces rather than a grip of multiple photos. I decided to find images of iconic scenes from movies that are on the National Film Registry list. I wanted to mainly stick to movies that would be recognized by the majority of our three audiences. For the home page I chose, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Taxi Driver, and Forrest Gump. I chose Mr. Smith Goes to Washington because Jimmy Stewart has a face most the 18-45 year olds could remember. Taxi Driver was chosen for the fact that it is a well-known movie from the 70s which would bridge the gap to Forrest Gump.  Forrest Gump was chosen because most millennials recognize the film and if they don't the film, they do Tom Hanks. I kept the "about us," "contact," and "Subscription/social media" bars at the bottom because that is usually the place people know where to go to find that info. Up at the top of the website there is a site navigation bar. Which is where you can easily navigate. I didn't include drop down menus because I feel it junks up the site. I did however have it change colors when you hover over an option.

Another tab at the top is important and will lead you to a list of the preserved film registry. I decided to choose an image of Scarlett and Rhett from Gone With the Wind because it tied in with our slogan and lead straight to the important page. On this page there are is a list of each year that the Registry has inductied films with the films below the year. I felt it was more navigable than the previous list that the current website is using. It is more simple and follows with the three to four grid system used on the other pages.






I also didn't want lots of words down the page so I decided to only show the first three years and add an expand button that will expand the page to show more induction years. 



The last important page is our contact page. Pulp Fiction is a classic. Anyone who's anyone has seen it. I chose this image because it seems like a demand for contact. I also wanted to incorporate a way for people to send in film nominations as well as simply contact us. 





Another big factor seen throughout the site is a three to four column look. I thought it kept the eye organized and made things more simple. 


No comments:

Post a Comment